Chicken Maple Bourbon Chopped Salad with Roasted Veggies
A new Hy-Vee opened near my house. Pam Hargrove recommended a Maple Bourbon Bacon Chopped Salad kit by Taylor Farms that she purchased there and I HAD to give it a try! It was really very good! This was something brand new for me. I had never had the chopped salad kits by this company before nor had I ever had this flavor. The hub around which this kit rotates is a sweet maple bourbon vinaigrette. It had just enough sweetness to stem the bitter nose of a vinaigrette and not overwhelm the earthy bourbon note.
Combining this kit with some chicken and roasted vegetables is just the ticket to turn a salad into a hearty offering where the absence of a heavy starch like potato or pasta may even go unnoticed. It’s a devious way to be healthy! I love it!
I made this for Dad and I …and it seems it was also popular with the notorious Mr. Boo. Mr. Boo approaches all aspects of his life with the subtlety of a Blitzkrieg, therefore we had no choice but to share. Everyone came away pleased with the results.
1 Taylor Farms Maple Bourbon Bacon Chopped Kit
1 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast 6-8 ounces
Broccoli, Asaparagus, and Baby Carrots – amounts based on your needs.
3 sprigs of fresh Rosemary
Olive oil, 1 tablespoon
- Start by cutting up your broccoli, carrots and asparagus for roasting. Bear in mind that you’ll want the relative thickness of the carrots to be reasonable for roasting – the asparagus and broccoli will likely roast a bit faster.
- Place all the roasting vegetables into a large bowl. Add ½ tbsp. of Olive Oil, and season with salt and pepper. Mix up the contents so that the olive oil lightly coats the vegetables.
- Place vegetables on a baking sheet with 3 sprigs of Rosemary. The rosemary is just for flavor in roasting. Put in oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Slice chicken breast into strips and season with McCormick’s Grillmates Bourbon and Brown Sugar seasoning.
- Heat Sautee Pan to medium high, and put remainder of olive oil in pan.
- Sautee chicken until done. Modulate heat as needed. I like to start with a higher heat to give the chicken just a bit of a sear with the seasoning and olive oil, then back off as I turn the chicken to the second side.
- Prepare the salad kit!
- Once vegetables are done, plate as illustrated, and enjoy!
Taylor Farms Maple Bourbon Salad Kit is about 262 calories for 1 and ¾ cups.
Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast is 138 calories for 3 ounces.
Roasted Asparagus, Carrots and Broccoli. Generally the calories in one cup of roasted vegetables ranges between 75 and 125 depending on the vegetable and the amount of olive oil. Go with 110 calories per cup for this recipe. So 1.5 cups of roasted vegetables is 165 calories.
Grant total: 565 calories.
Learn more about healthy eating at my blog post on diet fundamentals.